Sunday, December 13, 2009


I had all kinds of plans for this weekend but the weather and a weird mood sort of put paid to the good intentions. Pretty sure that everything went along swimmingly without my participation. And besides, I got the Mickey Leigh/Legs McNeil memoir and wanted to get that read before I got the urge to look at reviews.

When I was watching the Dolls the other night, I got to thinking that there might well have been no Ramones without them. Seeing a busy venue with the throng screaming “your mirror's gettin' jammed up with all your friends” sort of made me do a double take. The expression often comes up that we never fought the punk rock wars for X, Y or Z but this was exactly what we did time in them trenches for. I can’t say that I wasn’t wishing that it was The Dictators up there but I’ve had a giant fuck off NYD poster on my wall for more than 35 years now. I might not think much of the new songs but those first two items and most of their comeback defined a lot of what came later and I never did ever hear The Harlots of 42nd Street.

I guess that my favourite artists appreciated The Be*tles so I wouldn’t have to.

So anyway, I finished the book and will gather my thoughts and post something later but probably not tonight. Even although we know how it ends, doesn't make it any less devastating.

No comments: