Sunday, June 29, 2008

Finally some downtime to recharge these virtually unrechargeable batteries. Much as I'd like to see The Dolls tonight, I don't do the place they're playing. Perhaps I'll have to re-think that somewhere down the line but not today. Never say never.

Re-assessment does happen y'know, despite my overwhelming ability to cut my nose off to spite my face. Glasvegas are sort of an example of this. One of the main things that put me off them was the fact that Alan McGee was/is so keen. They tend to attract O*sis worshipping meathead fuckwits as a result.

It is rowdy, there's a lot of cussing and it sounds kinda exotic in the Scots brogue. That's one thing we're very good at. Swearing. We do it better and more expressively than any race on earth. Even the French. However, this "Geraldine" single is great, like Slik vs JAMC, and there are no swearies in it so it's radio-friendly. There's no question that they have a great sound. Founded on many of the things I (and you folks) hold dear so we'll see how it pans out. Maybe the music will do the talking in the end.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like The Plimptons are the viable alternative to the aforementioned guff:

Lindsay Hutton said...

What/who are The Plimptons?

Anonymous said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EvFUY72LGl0

Anonymous said...

I couldnt make it to the end of that song, I'll cut off my nose with that one. Its like something the pogues might come up with at a practice without shane macgowan but would've had the sense to bin. The thing about comedy bands is even if theyre funny its only funny the first time. The dolls were brilliant, the sound was terrible, muddy as fuck no matter where you were in the room, nothing was distinct, it was better for the support band the Heavy Drapes than it was for the dolls. The thing I find interesting about Glasvegas is theyre over 30 but I've not seen that reviewed negatively. Personally I dont like the accents, like the proclaimers it sounds forced and unnatural, they are the reid brothers crossed with the reid brothers !

Murray R