Sunday, November 19, 2006

Christmas is thrust upon us earlier and earlier and there should be a law against that. However, stocking up on cool music that might just get you through the hard-sell bollocks without committing murder is not subject to such prohibition. As I’ve said before, I’m not particularly down with the season. It has particularly spiky reverberations for me this year but I do get a wee bit fuzzy when I hear those sleighbells and whatever.

You’re aware of Oh No It’s Christmas Vol. 1 but now I actually have a copy. Those lovely Razzia folks have curated the very thing for you. Like sonic mulled wine. ONIC kicks off with Konie mixing up a Velvet’s “Waiting For The man” kinda holiday. He’s really Martin Ehrencrona, the guy that played guitars on Hello Saferide’s “My Best Friend”. This is followed by “Ipod X-mas” by Ms Norlin and Co. Quite possibly the best festive romp since “Merry Christmas (I Don’t Want To Fight Tonight)” and tied with The Raveonettes "Christmas Song". The Thousand Dollar Playboys have a countrified Pink Floyd thing going and what can you say about The Soundtrack Of Our Lives? “Jingle Hell” sounds like The A-Bones and manages to channel in “Surfin’ Bird” via ouija board or some such device. South Ambulance have created a tune worthy of The Shoes in "Hangin' In A Tie". I have no idea who they are or where their name comes from but those drums rock.

More HS alumni, Firefox AK (& Tiger Lou) and Maia Hirasawa bring a quieter, more reflective interlude with “Christmas Eve” and “You Were All There” respectively. Something of a breather from the grandeur of the general janglefest. The singer in The Tiny reminds me of Noosha Fox. I guess you have to be of a certain vintage (i.e. – old) to recognise that.

ONIC1 is a pure pop feast that you’ll be able to spin long after the tinsel and parcel wrap has been consigned to the cupboard for another year. Order it here now and it’ll be with you in plenty of time for the holidays. "God Jul and (Och) Ett Gott Nytt År" to each and every bloody one of yer! I hope that there'll be a Vol. 2 next year and I'm writing a letter to that Santa feller in the hope that the HS track will be made available on 7" vinyl for next year.

In keeping with the season, The Come-Ons have a message for you…

“we have some Christmas songs available for download on our website NEWS page. Hope you have time to check them out. The only catch is you have to make a $2 donation to charity.”


But it’s for a good cause, help some of Detroit’s finest make a difference.

No comments: