Saturday, May 20, 2006

Back to earth with a sharp dunt after last weekend's escapade then with a brief reprieve in the shape of Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham at The Arches in Glasgow last night. I say reprieve but it wasn’t a patch on the last time I saw them. That wasn’t down to the act but rather the mix of the venue and the audience. Why the fuck do people pay money for a ticket and gibber all through the show? The Arches are directly below Glasgow Central Station so everytime a train goes overhead it rumbles through a song. Now that might be fine if it’s a full band but something like this that requires intimacy and attention doesn’t fare well in such circumstances. I’ll take the sound of the trains over the ignorant gabbing bastards anyday though. Thing is that you’re farting against thunder if you try them all to clam up. You’d be there all night and it can get ugly. I’d have thought that the audience being mainly more “mature” they’d value a visit by legends like these. That they’d be a little more reverential. Hell that they should shut the fuck up for an hour or so? Too much to ask or expect? I guess so.

Things have taken a dive ala the stock market but it doesn't feel much like a "correction". More a swift kick in the bollocks. Anyway, the wires are all agog with the news that The Cramps (with Bill Bateman) are headed for Europe in August. You can catch up with the dates here and no, I won't be in attendance at any of them but thanks for asking. It's good to hear that they're active at least. Who knows, maybe there's a dvd release or something to promote but then again perhaps not. Anyway, their public is moist with anticipation. I'm going to try and get to grips with the backlog here today before I settle down to cheer on Finland's LORDI in the Eurovision tomorrow and their "Hard Rock Hallelujah" entry. Way off the daftometer and worthy of a phone or web vote even. If I could text I'd even consider that. Life in the fast lane at the cutting edge of entertainment.

However while you're at Youtube, check out the scopitonetastic BMX Bandits clip on Youtube for “I’m Still Hungry”. More through the course of today, gig news, recent releases and who knows what else. First though, I have to catch up with The Sopranos. Only two episodes to go after these until the final eight that begin during January 2007. Cannae help trouble...

No comments: